Zombicide: Black Plague – Abomination

Working on the next round of Zombicide figure painting, wrapping up the unique characters and starting the bulk of the zombie hordes.  First up is the Abomination, base coated and washed, ready for highlighting and cosmetics tonight.  I was concerned initially by the base coat, it appeared rather flat, but the wash effect worked pretty well for this one.

Webserver troubles

It may have been noticed, but my website was offline for most of the night yesterday.  I have been reconfiguring my home theatre system, which runs partially on the same system.  In my solution, I have a FreeNAS server, which holds a pair of Ubuntu virtual machines, each of which run pieces of the overall solution.  In an attempt to improve performance, enable updates, and generally improve efficiency, I have been moving some of the pieces off of the FreeNAS base system and onto one of the two VMs.  For the most part, everything was working fine, and actually improving the environment.  And then yesterday, I ran into an issue.  Basically, the VMs were running out of memory, due to large processing of files.  So I made a swap from SABnzbd to NZBget (supposedly a much smaller memory footprint) – but this ended up actually making it worse.

Of course in all of this, I have to travel for work, so my administration is being done remotely.  So when I needed to reboot the FreeNAS box itself, to resolve another lockup, the server ended up offline since it was a) past the wife’s bedtime, and b) unable to restart cleanly on its own.  A short call in the morning with the wife to properly hard-reset the server, and everything was back online.

And with a bit more focused troubleshooting, I discovered that the NZBget configuration was wrong – I was confusing umask with chmod settings.  This was causing all activity to be created with 000 permissions (no rights) instead of 777 permissions (full rights), which in turn was causing the various servers to thrash over the inaccessible files multiple times per second.  And in turn, cause performance problems and lockups on the system.

With that issue corrected, suddenly memory and cpu usage dropped significantly, the servers became responsive, and my expectation is that the environment is fully operational again.  For now…

MtG Tournament results

Congratulations to George, and his dominating Red deck, who managed to win the first annual Thanksgiving Magic the Gathering competition.  We ended up with 14 participants, which resulted in 4 rounds of games.  Many of the players were brand new to the game, so it was rather educational for many, and I believe we have more than a few new converts to the game.  It makes me encouraged for a similar event next year, though hopefully with a bit more preparation and advertising.

Magic the Gathering, 2017 Thanksgiving Tournament

Hosting our (hopefully to be) annual Thanksgiving Magic the Gathering tournament today, a smallish gathering of friends and acquaintances.  The invites went out to the gaming group, our cub scouts, and the boy scouts, but in truth anyone is welcome to join in the fun.  By the time this is posted, we will be just about to start – hopefully I can post afterwords that it was a success for all involved.  Planning on bringing the cameras and audio recorders, and try to get some decent footage of some of the games.  Might even post it at some point as well.

Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords

Although I haven’t posted audio or video from any of my recent games, the Pathfinder campaign continues.  The Battle of Sandpoint finally wrapped up, it turned out to take 4 sessions of game time, though the group seemed to enjoy the challenge of the ongoing fight.  Unfortunately, the group lost Harsk in the fight, after he ended up solo-fighting the leader of the Stone Giant assault force, who coincidentally had a thing for killing dwarves.  After recovering from their wounds, the player opted to try something new, and will be rejoining the group next game with a brand new (original) character, rather than raising Harsk from the grave.

Runewars Miniatures – Heavy Crossbowmen

The final set of the recent reinforcements is for the Daqan forces, with a unit of Heavy Crossbowmen.  As typical, simple to assemble, and with a nice variation with the four different model designs.  It adds a decent ranged punch to the Daqan, and also appears to be a highly defensive unit as well with several of the upgrade options.