This listing will end up rather technical, but it is mainly for my own use, to catalog my current FreeNAS configuration and hardware specs. If you find it useful to model after, so much the better. As for general performance, I have been very happy with FreeNAS. As a comparison, we as a family routinely run 2 or 3 720p video streams from Plex, or 2 1080p video streams, with rarely any issues and virtually no lag or buffering. This while the server is also handling all the other activities like Crashplan backups, downloads, etc.
Should be noted, this is not a guarantee of performance or capabilities – your mileage may vary – but this is a solid budget hardware layout for a FreeNAS system.
FreeNAS version: FreeNAS-Corral-10.0.4
- Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
- ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz
- 16 GB GeIL EVO POTENZA DDR4-2400 Memory
- 64 GB USB drive (OS image – FreeNAS-Corral-10.0.4)
- 4x 4.0 TB Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5″ 5400RPM Internal Hard Drives (Primary partition, RaidZ, 10.89 TB usable)
- 3x 3.0 TB Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5″ 5400RPM Internal Hard Drives (Secondary partition, RaidZ, 5.46 TB usable)
- Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
- Rosewill RNG-407 Dual PCI-Express x1 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter
Containers (all mounted in a single Docker VM):
NFS and SMB filesharing